Posted: May 11, 2017
Part-Time Position Available: Communications Coordinator
This position is hired by and is accountable to the Rector and is considered a part-time, at-will contract-employee (or independent contractor) of the parish, and all policies regarding lay part-time contract-employees for the Church would apply.
Position Open: June 15, 2017
Rate of Pay: $16-$19/Hr. DOE
Hours: 24 hours/wk – as arranged (somewhat flexible)
Purpose and Primary Function
The Communications Coordinator has two main responsibilities: 1.) communication within the parish, and 2.) publicity to the larger community; both being formed by our core purpose: To make God’s love known by who we are, what we practice and how we serve others in Christ’s Name. As a member of the program staff team, the incumbent collaborates with the clergy, staff and volunteers in developing, administering and evaluating the different means of communications and designs the various publications as specified and planned. The incumbent must have experience / background in various graphic and communication skills, such as creative writing, editing, desktop publishing, production coordination, and digital design, including photography and video.
Qualifications and Gifts:
This position requires the ability to form a strategic vision for articulating the mission and ministries of the parish; the skills and experience to develop a communications plan and style palette for marketing these attributes; and the technical and broad skills to function as producer of the material. The incumbent needs to be organized and comfortable working both collaboratively as well as being self-directed with various projects
- Preference given to applicants with at least 1 year related work experience and/or degree in communications, website development, desktop publishing or related field of study
- Computer knowledge and proficiency especially in Adobe™ Creative Suite (including
In-Design & Premiere), Microsoft™, Apple™ products, as well as other desktop publishing, video and web design software
- Familiarity with database and spreadsheet software programs would be helpful
- Must be over 21 years of age; and not a parishioner of St. Thomas Church
- Possess good communication and organizational skills, with attention to detail
- Demonstrate a desire and competency to work with information as well as people
- Comfortable working as a team, leading & supporting volunteer adult assistants, as well as be self-directed for creative projects
- Ability to plan and organize projects; as well as track supplies and materials
- Have an enthusiasm for this ministry and a desire to grow in this position with the parish
Responsibilities* would include but not be limited to:
- Design, layout and production of parish newsletter (Tidings), as well as periodic reports, working with other staff and volunteers to assist in production & finishing
- Update and maintain parish website
- Design and update periodical and special advertisements
- Design & produce weekly e-news, utilizing multi-media as appropriate, such as video.
- General signage, posters, bulletin boards and general welcome materials
- Coordinate aspects, such as: copy, graphics, photos, links, etc. from volunteers, staff and other sources for written & web-based communications
- Keep records necessary to support on-going communications and special projects
- Attend meetings, appropriate conferences / retreats for the church staff & ministry teams
* Other reasonable duties assigned by the Rector or designee.
- The Communications Coordinator is hired by, accountable and reports to the Rector (and/or rector’s designee), and is considered an “at-will employee” (resignation/termination may be done by either party at any time for any reason).
- As a statutory employee (P/T or 0.6 FTE), the incumbent would satisfy all application, screening and interview procedures, including a personal background check, interview, and would be expected to participate in Safe Church Training – Child Abuse Awareness & Prevention and Sexual Misconduct Awareness Training; as well as any relevant in-service training (provided to the employee at no expense).
- The Communications Coordinator will be reviewed initially after 90 days and then annually.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Compensation – Based on 24 hours per week, this position at an hourly rate of $16-19/hr. (DOE)
- This position would be considered an “at-will” part-time employee. As a church, St. Thomas is exempted from the Unemployment Act, and so the employee would not be eligible to ever pursue Unemployment (or the like). Normal FICA contributions would be withheld from the employee’s gross pay, as would all appropriate federal & state withholdings, based on the W-4.
Terms: One month (probationary); ninety day (review); One year (renewable); “At-will”.
- Applicants are welcome to submit current CV/resume along with cover letter and sample work to the parish (send to The Rev. Darren Elin, Rector, c/o St. Thomas Episcopal Church 100 Miami Ave., Terrace Park, OH 45174) by the close of business on June 15, 2017. Candidates will be notified by June 25th
- Or email Darren@stthomasepiscopal.org with “Communications Coordinator” in the subject line.